+JMJ+ This is part 3 of a four-part series for November, the month devoted to the Holy Souls in Purgatory, during which we remember in a special way our loved ones who have gone on ahead, by practicing devotions and praying for them. The Holy See extended the indulgences through November because of Covid-19, see notes below for links about that. Also in the links are a couple of articles about Padre Pio and the Holy Souls. In this post are two videos, one about Padre Pio and his intercession for the Holy Souls and some encounters he had with them, and a video from the EWTN show, Living Divine Mercy on Why Purgatory Exists.
Video, Living Divine Mercy TV Show (EWTN) Ep. 9: Why Purgatory Exists. Apparently you’ll have to watch this one on YouTube instead of here on the blog. Update: Well, dadgumit, it says unavailable to watch here when I look at it in the post editor, have to watch on YouTube; then after I posted it, it played just fine here on the blog. Argh. Cain’t trust nobody! Argh argh argh. ;)
I’ll be writing more about the books I’ve gotten about the soul, the afterlife, Purgatory, etc., when I’ve had time to read and ponder on them. I’m fascinated by the subject(s) so I hope to be able to dig into those soon. Well, soonish.
Thanks for visiting the blog and reading. I pray that you and I will stay holy and virtuous, and help each other to become who the Lord intends us to be: SAINTS. God bless you and may His Peace be always with you. +JMJ+
“It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.” — 2 Maccabees 12:46, Douay-Rheims Translation, public domain.
“The Rosary is the ‘weapon’ for these times” and ” We must empty Purgatory!” — Padre Pio.
Notes and Links
- Extending the extension: Praying for the dead all through November 2021: “…because of the disruptions due to Covid-19, the Apostolic Penitentiary gave a greater extension for indulgences for the Poor Souls for this November, allowing the faithful to receive a plenary indulgence for visiting a cemetery every day in November, not just November 1-8. The other special indulgence of visiting a church on All Souls’ Day and recite the Our Father and the Creed may be transferred to any other day in November.”
- Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary on Plenary Indulgences for the deceased faithful, 28.10.2021.
- Padre Pio, intercessor for the holy souls in Purgatory, video.
- Padre Pio and the Poor Souls: “In Padre Pio’s case there was a veritable inundation of souls seeking his prayers and sufferings to be offered to God on their behalf.”
- When Padre Pio was visited by a soul from purgatory, by Philip Kosloski: Padre Pio is known for his many mystical experiences during prayer, often piercing the heavenly veil while on earth. One such experience involved an unexpected encounter with a soul from purgatory.
- And only because someone may mention it to you, Purgatory, a trailer for the Michael Kondrat film, and a thoughtful review of it by Steven Greydanus: How do you make a documentary about purgatory? Not like this. I haven’t seen the film myself.
Image in the banner: An Angel Frees the Souls of Purgatory, Ludovico Carracci, via Wikimedia Commons, public domain.
Full disclosure: When you make purchases through my Amazon affiliate links (or my general Amazon link) on this site, I may make a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your prayers and support!
Copyright: All material on Catholic Heart and Mind is Copyright © 2009-2021 Lee Lancaster, except where otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. See Permissions and Copyright for more. Quoted material belongs to others and they retain their copyright. Most images and quoted material are in the public domain except where otherwise noted.