Welcome back to the weekly series on the soul. This is part 6. Earlier posts focused on Dom Wiesinger’s Occult Phenomena in the Light of Theology. Have I mastered that text? Nope. Studying that one will be ongoing. I’ve been searching for another text for us to use and this morning the perfect text dropped right into my mailbox. Well, a link to a podcast landed in my email inbox: the Catholic Culture Podcast hosted by Thomas Mirus. And the email title that caught my eye was, “Reclaiming the vision of the West” in which Mirus interviews author James Matthew Wilson, author of The Vision of the Soul: Truth, Goodness, and Beauty in the Western Tradition. Aha! said I, this is exactly what I needed for the blog.
The devastation rationalism has wrought on modernity has yet to be calculated, because it is the air we breathe, often regardless of our professed beliefs.From the description for the Catholic Culture Podcast, episode 61.
I won’t be able to post copious amounts of this one since it’s not in the public domain, but I have found articles by the author, reviews of the book, along with audio and video interviews as well as talks he’s given. The video (below) contains so much to think about that I’m keeping this post brief so we can get right to it. Links and notes are at the end of this post.
To take politics as an example: the modern left, disenchanted with the Enlightenment narrative of reason’s supremacy, has, rather than restoring reason to its proper subordinate place in our vision of reality, instead become skeptical of all claims to truth. Lacking a foundation in truth, “critical thinking,” that shriveled scrap of reason enshrined by academics, has not kept them from believing any absurdity one could name.Ibid.
Whew! There’s so much in that video to take in! I’ve listened to it twice now, haven’t taken any notes yet, but I will. Looking forward to this. Got a sample of the book. Was trying to hold off buying any books until after paying HOA dues and dealing with, uhg, tax season, but I’m not sure I can wait that long.
Thank you for reading. I hope you will enjoy your visit. Stay tuned as the series continues. Until next time, whoever and wherever you are, may the Lord bless you and keep you, and may His peace be always with you. +JMJ+
Links and Notes
- Link to podcast video at YouTube: The Catholic Podcast, host Thomas Mirus, Ep. 61 – Liberal Anti-Culture vs. the Western Vision of the Soul (Pt I) – James Matthew Wilson
- Link to page at Catholic Culture, description and podcast audio: Ep. 61—Liberal Anti-Culture vs. the Western Vision of the Soul (Pt I)—James Matthew Wilson
- Vision of the Soul: Paperback. Kindle. (Affiliate links, see full disclosure below.)
- More links to more good stuff as the series continues. There will be three episodes on this topic at Catholic Culture. Goodie!
- Image credit: St Peter’s Basilica, view of “the interior shows the transept arms to right and left, and the chancel beyond the baldacchino.” Photo credit: Patrick Landy known as FSU Guy at en.wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0.
Annotated Table of Contents for the Weekly Series On the Soul.
Annotated Table of Contents for all series.
Full disclosure: When you make any purchase through my Amazon affiliate links (or my general Amazon link) on this site, I may make a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you. And thank you for your prayers and support.